LCBAS organizes occasional half- and whole-day field trips to sites in the Columbia Basin.
Participants enjoy making a trip list of all bird, mammal and plant species encountered. The occasional rarity is a pleasing bonus, but our emphasis is always on camaraderie and appreciation of the natural world.
Local Field Trips — Rules of the Road
Please sign up in advance for field trips by contacting the designated trip leader.
To insure a quality field experience, the number of participants per trip is limited to 12. No walk-ins please. If you are unable to attend a trip for which you signed up, please contact the trip leader ASAP so that someone else may take your place.
- Beginners encouraged !
- Scopes are welcome
- Arrive a few minutes early
- Wear seasonally appropriate clothing & footwear
- Always take a lunch, drinks & snacks for trips that go beyond midday.
- Carpool guidelines are 35 cents per mile per vehicle - total expenses to be divided by number of riders excluding the driver.
- NO pets.
See the events calendar on our home page for the latest information about field trips.
Led by Jason Fidorra, Birding Events Chair, we will bird at a different site on the third Saturday of each month.
- February 17 - McNary National Wildlife Refuge in Burbank
- March 17 - Riverview Park and the TriCities Animal Shelter in Pasco
- April 21 - W. E. Johnson Park in Richland
- May 19 - Horn Rapids County Park near Benton City
- June 16 - a site to be determined in the Blue Mountains
Field Trip Leaders
Would you like to be involved with planning and leading local birding field trips? Send an email to: fieldtrips.
Virginia Rail - Photographer: Larry Umthun